Howdy From San Antonio!
You’ll want to come to the 24th annual National AA Archives Workshop (NAAAW) scheduled from Thursday, Sep 30th – Sunday, Oct 3rd, 2021! The theme is “Today is Tomorrow’s History.” Everyone who comes will get to learn from, and exchange notes with, the best A.A. Archivists in U.S. and Canada.
Our primary purpose, like all AA service work, is to help the still-suffering alcoholic. Beginning in 1996, the NAAAW grew out of a desire to provide a venue where AA archivists could meet others doing similar service work. This work sometimes isn’t widely known and can sometimes lack guidance.
To answer this, our workshop begins Thursday when you can spend the day sightseeing and socializing, with the opening and orientation starting at 6:30 pm. Friday is when learning begins. We are committed to cover each section of the Archives Workbook. Sessions are organized along two tracks. The beginner track is designed to teach new archivists what they to know to start and enjoy this new service opportunity. The Advanced track covers these same areas, but simply expands their scope. Saturday evening is for our banquet, followed by our keynote speaker. Throughout the entire weekend, you can take advantage of the rare opportunity to learn from and see displays of Archivists from across North America.
These Archivists offer compelling topics. Some highlights include:
- John M., Northwest TX Area Past Archivist: Texas AA History & Ebby Thatcher
- San Antonio’s own Yolanda F., Past Southwest Regional Trustee: Conceiving La Vina
- Josh E., current Class B Trustee and AAGV Board Chair: All about the Grapevine
- Michelle Mirza, GSO Archivist, will describe AA’s New York GSO Archives
- Hands-on preservation and conservation led by Akron Archivist, Jim B.
- Gail L., NAAAW Archivist, our keynote speaker, mentored by AA’s first archivist, Nell Wing, will give her popular “An Interview with Bill Wilson.”
You won’t want to miss these or any of our outstanding presenters. Regardless of how much (or how little) you might know about archives, we guarantee you’ll be enriched by not only our speakers, but with newfound knowledge and friends. Help get the word out!
Yours in service,
Tami S. Archivist, San Antonio Archives